Position Title: FULL-CHARGE BOOKKEEPER – PART-TIME
Reports To: Executive & Artistic Director of HB Studio
HB Studio, founded in 1945 by Herbert Berghof and Uta Hagen, provides a workspace for actors, playwrights and directors to hone their skills; and a haven, free from commercial pressures, for the long-term growth of working professionals. HB is committed to an ongoing process of training and practice that nurtures the development of theater artists. Our goal is to contribute to a theater that is vital and relevant, and that expresses the social, moral and political realities of the world in which we live. We offer a rigorous, well-rounded, diverse and inclusive curriculum of study for committed students of all levels where the actor’s unique potential is cultivated and encouraged. We are committed to promoting diversity, equity, access and inclusion in all aspects of our organization and to eradicate all sources of inequality and discrimination. We seek to foster a theater community that shares this commitment and makes meaningful contributions to a more just, equitable and inclusive society.
Through these activities the Bookkeeper supports the evolving mission and vision of this renowned theater collective and performing arts institute, where high quality training and practice are offered at affordable costs to a diverse community of nearly a thousand students per term.
The Full-Charge Bookkeeper is responsible for managing the day-to-day accounting functions of Herbert Berghof Studio, Inc. (HB Studio) and its sister organization, the HB Playwrights Foundation. The person in this position performs key aspects of the daily accounting work and manages the administration of benefits for the HB Studio staff.
This position reports to the Executive & Artistic Director of the Herbert Berghof Studio and coordinates with the Controller. The Bookkeeper also works closely with the Registration and Program management staff who oversee the class schedule and student registration process. Supports and coordinates with Facilities, Venue, Development, Marketing, Program, and Production staff. Must work well with faculty, guest artists, staff, students, donors, and alumni while maintaining separation and discretion.
- Performs accounts payable & accounts Receivable
- Cash Receipts including tuition, grants and donations, other income (book sales, photocopying, vending machine)
- Bank deposits (tuition, donations, other)
- Book, track and reconcile allocations for scholarships and work study grants
- Performs bank reconciliations (monthly, for all accounts)
- Processes payroll: Coordinate payroll processing for staff and faculty through the Justworks PEO system, liaising with Deputy Director of Programs for teaching artist, substitute, and accompanist schedules and payments; with department supervisors and Executive & Artistic Director for staff time tracking and PTO accruals. Ensure integration of payroll data to Quickbooks Online accounting software.
- Prepares vendor and contractor payments, refunds and reimbursements
- Reconciles quarterly payroll reports to general ledger for agreement
- Oversee daily cash reconciliation and serve as a finance resource to registration staff with respect to the proper handling of transactions
- Reconciles donations and institutional grants with Development records (periodically and after each fundraising event) in liaison with the Controller
- Reconciles HBPF and HB Studio’s books with respect to receivables and payables
- Reconciles Registration system (ASAP) transactions with QuickBooks in liaison with the Controller
- Plays an integral role in employee benefits management (Medical, PTOs, FSA, 403(b), Commuter Benefits, Disability, Paid Family Leave);
- Support the human resource benefit management process, including providing information to staff about health insurance, transit checks, and other benefits
- Support the human resource payroll process, including providing information to staff about payroll deductions and withholding, and processing change requests
- Support the human resource hiring process, using the Justworks system, including providing benefits and payroll information to new staff members and processing hire paperwork
- Add and update employees’ information in Justworks payroll system, ensuring compliance with wage notices and I9 documentation
- Track, update and post Paid Time Off
- Manage annual medical insurance renewals and FSA enrollments and revisions.
- Manage Census submissions Oxford Health Insurance
- 403(b) and FSA compliance testing
- Assures adherence to document retention guidelines
- Assists in preparation for annual audit in liaison with the Controller
- Works with auditors before, during and after (subsequent testing) an audit in liaison with the Controller
- Participates in preparation for filing 990 HBS and HBPF Tax Reports in liaison with the Controller
- Prepares 1099’s for contractors and vendors
- Issues Invoices to and collects payments to/from customers
- Fulfills sales tax filing and submission
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Job Requirements
- Bachelor degree with focus on financial management and/or equivalent experience.
- 5 years experience working in the nonprofit sector in a finance role.
- Experience with studio class or school programs a plus.
- Strong organizational skills, detail oriented, and the ability to set and handle multiple priorities
- Excel proficiency (Pivot tables, Sumif, Vlookup).
- Excellent communication and people skills.
- Flexible and able to multitask; can work within a self-directed, fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to the organization’s mission.
- Proficient in productivity software, Internet protocols, database operation, and QuickBooks software in a MAC network environment.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Position and Compensation Details
Aspects of this position may be performed remotely; 1-2 days/week in-person on site preferred. This is a permanent, part time, non-exempt position. HB requires full vaccination for on-site work, and practices airborne disease safety protocols covering staff, faculty, and students. HB provides COVID safety training to staff working on site. Occasional weekend or evening work may be required. All staff members may be required to take part in the Studio’s annual Spring-Clean Up week in May or periodic days of service no more than four times per year. Payroll is processed biweekly based on a Sunday-to-Saturday schedule. The biweekly payroll is processed on Mondays before 2pm for a Friday pay date. The Full-Charge Bookkeeper’s hours must support the Studio’s regular payroll schedule 24 hours/week, $40/hour, commensurate with experience.
Please submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com, using the subject line “Bookkeeper”.