HB Studio Rehearsal Space Residencies 2023
Call for Proposals
PROPOSAL GUIDELINES & APPLICATION
Deadline for Proposals: October 18, 2022
Selected Projects will be announced by: January 2023
HB Studio invites theater artists to submit a project for the development of new work in 2023 our HB Rehearsal Space Residency.
HB REHEARSAL SPACE RESIDENCY
HB Studio is dedicated to training and practice for the theater, and seeks to provide a commerce-free environment for the nurturing and growth of theater artists. In pursuit of this goal, HB offers five one-week Rehearsal Space Residencies each year for the development of creative projects. The HB Rehearsal Space Residency is an opportunity for practicing theater artists to collaborate on experimental projects, develop new work, and share workshop presentations among peers and colleagues, for constructive critical feedback and mutual growth. (Please note, the residency’s focus is on rehearsal and development, not production, and we are unlikely to select projects which are primarily intended to “showcase” work). The Rehearsal Space Residency is an open opportunity; you do not have to be affiliated with HB Studio to apply. However we do ask that our resident artists work with us to engage with our community of students and faculty while in residence at HB.
ELIGIBLE RESIDENCY PROJECTS MAY INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO, THE FOLLOWING:
- Rehearsed workshops or readings of new plays
- New/exploratory staging or adaptation of existing works
- Devised or improvised work
- Musical theater works and theater works incorporating music
- Movement-based theater work
IF SELECTED FOR A RESIDENCY, YOU RECEIVE:
- A full week of rehearsal space in our HB Playwright’s Theater at 124 Bank Street, New York. Which includes:
- Storage use in our space.
- Use of our technical equipment.
- Announcements of public presentations via HB Studio’s weekly notice and social media postings.
- An Event page created by HB staff for taking ticket reservations.
- The opportunity to audit classes at HB Studio free of charge (one session per class only).
- In-house photography for marketing and archival purposes.
IF SELECTED FOR A RESIDENCY, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Crafting and running all elements of your public presentations, including tech, set up, break down, stage management and front of house.
- Providing your own technicians to design and run the show, if using tech elements.
- Providing your own costume, props or set pieces, as needed. Limited props and set pieces are available for use in the space. (Ideal projects will be those that cultivate a “no budget” aesthetic – self-produced, bare bones, etc.)
- Gathering and sharing feedback on your work-in-progress from colleagues and audience is encouraged.
- Completing a survey for HB about your experience at the end of the project period.
- Following HB Studios COVID-19 Guidelines.
2023 REHEARSAL SPACE RESIDENCY PROJECT PERIODS:
|Residency Start/End (2023)|
|Project #1||February 27–March 5, 2023|
|Project #2||March 20–26, 2023|
|Project #3||April 24–30, 2023|
|Project #4||May 15–21, 2023|
|Project #5||June 6–11, 2023|