HB Studio offers both online classes and in-person classes at the Studio. Proof of Covid-19 Vaccination with Booster is required for in-person classes. Before your first class, please review the information outlined on the relevant page(s): Online Classes | In-Person Classes
Classes are in NYC’s Eastern Time Zone.
HB Studio offers professional classes in the dramatic arts for committed actors, directors, and playwrights—beginning and experienced—to hone their skills in a community of peers and mentors. In the spirit of our founders, Uta Hagen and Herbert Berghof, we seek to foster an environment where creative freedom prevails and artists are challenged to take their work to the next level.
Browse classes in the navigation menu to the left (desktop) or above (mobile).
HB offers a progressive sequence of ongoing weekly classes, which meet for 10-week terms four terms a year. All online classes (except writing classes) are offered in two 5-week parts (Part A & Part B) which can be taken independently or together.
- Acting classes
- Voice and Speech classes
- Movement classes,
- Musical Theater classes
- Playwriting & Screenwriting classes
- Directing classes
- Young People’s acting classes for kids and teens
Choose one class at a time, or design your own part-time or full-time schedule.
- ACTING AUDITIONS for advanced classes are held monthly, or submit a reel …learn more
- AUDITS: Observe any of our Weekly Classes one time per instructor for $20.00 per audit. Currently, audits are only available for Online Classes…learn more
- WEEKLY SCHEDULE: To browse classes by day of week, view the calendar
- HB FACULTY is comprised of practicing theater artists.…browse classes by teacher
Special seminars and master classes are offered between terms, and a variety of short-term skill-building and professional development workshops are offered throughout the year.
- Winter Term runs 10 weeks, Jan 8 – Mar 18 (no classes Jan 8)
- In-person Classes meet 1 session per week for 10 weeks (except select classes)
- Online Classes meet 1 session per week for 5-weeks (except writing courses). Two 5-week Parts are available each term, Part A & Part B:
- Winter Part A: Jan 8–Feb 12 (no classes Jan 15)
- Winter Part B: Feb 13–Mar 18
- A $15 discount will apply when registering for both parts. Sign up for either Part independently (5 weeks each), or join both for the full 10-week term. You may join Part B without taking Part A.
- Registration for WORKSHOPS is ongoing – check back regularly for new offerings.
EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT*: Receive 10% OFF Winter Term Weekly Classes with code WINTER24W at checkout, valid through November 30.
UNION DISCOUNT*: AEA, AGVA, AGMA, SAG/AFTRA, WGA, UFT, and Dramatist Guild Union Members or international equivalent receive 20% OFF Winter Term Weekly Classes through November 30, and 10% OFF thereafter. Discount will automatically apply for HB-verified Union Members. To become verified, email a copy of your active union membership card to email@example.com. NOTE: You are prohibited from using the Early Bird Discount code when receiving a Union Discount.
*Discounts valid for weekly classes only; not valid for workshops, programs or merchandise. Discounts cannot be combined nor applied retroactively. Union discount applies for classes taken by cardholders only and cannot be used to enroll family or friends. APPLYING MULTIPLE DISCOUNTS IS PROHIBITED.
Descuento de NYC Latin Media: Los miembros de NYC Latin Media pueden auditar* gratuitamente una clase o taller en el estudio y recibir un 20% de descuento** en todas clases del estudio y talleres. El descuento será aplicado automáticamente para miembros verificados por HB. Para convertirse en usuario verificado, debe mandar un correo electrónico a firstname.lastname@example.org con detalles de su membresía de NYC Latin Media.
*Incluye una sesión gratuita por instructor. No se permite auditar múltiples veces la misma clase. **Los descuentos son solamente válidos para clases semanales y talleres, no son válidos para programas o mercancías. Los descuentos no pueden ser combinados ni se aplicarán con efecto retroactivo. El descuento para los socios es aplicado para clases tomadas solamente por miembros de NYC Latin Media y no puede ser utilizado para inscribir familiares o amigos.
- FALL 2023: Sept 11 – Nov 21, 2023 (no class Oct 9 & Nov 7) | Registration opens Aug 1, 2023
- WINTER 2024: Jan 8 – March 18, 2024 (no class Jan 15) | Registration opens Nov. 1, 2023
- SPRING 2024: March 25 – June 3, 2024 (no class May 27) | Registration opens Feb 5, 2024
- SUMMER 2024: June 12 – Aug 22, 2024 (no class June 19 & July 4) | Registration opens May 1, 2024
- Hagen Core Training: September 11, 2023 – June 5, 2024 (3 Terms)
- Hagen Summer Intensive 2024: June 2–August 2, 2024 (6-weeks)
The game of make-believe is a crucial game for the artist.
About HB Studio Classes in the Dramatic Arts
For those just starting out or those seeking to reconnect with the basics, Level 1 classes are open to all without audition, placement, or prerequisite. Classes at Levels 2 and 3 build on the foundational skills addressed at Level 1. For those at an advanced level of training and for the professional actor seeking a place to work out, renew, stretch, and explore, we offer ongoing classes at the Studio Practice Level. Level 2, Level 3, and Studio Practice acting classes require audition or placement.
Actors interested in intensive, fast-track, full-time training in the dramatic arts are encouraged to apply for the Uta Hagen Institute’s one-year Core Training or 6-week Summer Intensive program. In these programs, you train as an ensemble in a rigorous, integrated sequence of daily classes.
HB Studio also offers classes in Playwriting, Directing, and acting classes for kids and teens aged 9 and up. The Studio also offers performance opportunities for playwrights, directors, and actors to collaborate on readings and work-in-progress productions.
Before You Register
We strongly encourage all students to acquaint themselves with the policies regarding refunds, credits, and transfers before registering for classes. Students may audit classes prior to enrollment. There are no refunds or credits once you register and the class is under way, except in the case of serious illness or withdrawal for military service. Requests for these exceptions must be made within three weeks of the first day the student is absent from class.
Registration with HB Studio is non-transferable.
Read more about HB Studio’s Policies at Registration & Policies.