HB Studio offers both online classes and in-person classes at the Studio. Proof of vaccination is required for in-person classes. Before your first class, please review the information outlined on the relevant page(s): Online Classes | In-Person Classes
Classes are in NYC’s Eastern Time Zone.
HB Studio offers professional classes in the dramatic arts for committed actors, directors, and playwrights—beginning and experienced—to hone their skills in a community of peers and mentors. In the spirit of our founders, Uta Hagen and Herbert Berghof, we seek to foster an environment where creative freedom prevails and artists are challenged to take their work to the next level.
Browse classes in the navigation menu to the left (desktop) or above (mobile).
HB offers a progressive sequence of ongoing weekly classes, which meet for 10-week terms four terms a year. All online classes (except writing classes) are offered in two 5-week parts (Part A & Part B) which can be taken independently or together.
- Acting classes
- Voice and Speech classes
- Movement classes,
- Musical Theater classes
- Playwriting & Screenwriting classes
- Directing classes
- Young People’s acting classes for kids and teens
Choose one class at a time, or design your own part-time or full-time schedule.
- ACTING AUDITIONS for advanced classes are held monthly, or submit a reel …learn more
- AUDITS: Observe any of our Weekly Classes one time per instructor for $20.00 per audit…learn more
- WEEKLY SCHEDULE: To browse classes by day of week, view the calendar
- HB FACULTY is comprised of practicing theater artists.…browse classes by teacher
Special seminars and master classes are offered between terms, and a variety of short-term skill-building and professional development workshops are offered throughout the year.
- SUMMER TERM Registration is now open!
- Summer Term runs 10 weeks, June 12 – August 22, 2022.
- We offer online classes and in-person classes
- All classes are offered in two 5-week Parts:
- Summer Part A: June 12 – July 18, 2022 (n0 classes June 19 or July 4)
- Summer Part B: July 19 – Aug 22, 2022
- With the exception of playwriting and directing classes, all classes are offered in two 5-week parts, Part A and Part B. A $15 discount will apply when registering for both parts. Sign up for either Part independently (5 weeks each), or join both for the full 10-week term. You may join Part B without taking Part A:
- SPRING TERM Part B classes are still open to enrollment.
- Spring Part B: May 2 – June 6, 2022 (No classes May 30)
- Registration for online and in-person WORKSHOPS is ongoing – check back regularly for new offerings.
EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT*: Receive 10% off Summer Term Weekly Classes with code SUMMER22W, valid through May 31, 2022.
UNION DISCOUNT*: AEA, AGVA, AGMA, SAG/AFTRA, WGA, UFT, and Dramatist Guild Union Members or international equivalent receive 20% OFF Summer Term Weekly Classes through May 31, and 10% OFF thereafter. Discount will automatically apply for HB-verified Union Members. To become verified, email a copy of your active union membership card to email@example.com.
*Discounts valid for weekly classes only; not valid for workshops, programs or merchandise. Discounts cannot be combined nor applied retroactively. Union discount applies for classes taken by cardholders only and cannot be used to enroll family or friends.
Descuento de NYC Latin Media: Los miembros de NYC Latin Media pueden auditar* gratuitamente una clase o taller en el estudio y recibir un 20% de descuento** en todas clases del estudio y talleres. El descuento será aplicado automáticamente para miembros verificados por HB. Para convertirse en usuario verificado, debe mandar un correo electrónico a firstname.lastname@example.org con detalles de su membresía de NYC Latin Media.
*Incluye una sesión gratuita por instructor. No se permite auditar múltiples veces la misma clase. **Los descuentos son solamente válidos para clases semanales y talleres, no son válidos para programas o mercancías. Los descuentos no pueden ser combinados ni se aplicarán con efecto retroactivo. El descuento para los socios es aplicado para clases tomadas solamente por miembros de NYC Latin Media y no puede ser utilizado para inscribir familiares o amigos.
- Fall Term 2021: September 13 – November 23, 2021 (no class Oct 11 & Nov 2) | Registration opens Aug 8, 2021
- Winter Term 2022: January 10 – March 21, 2022 (no class Jan 17) | Registration opens Nov 1, 2021
- Spring Term 2022: March 28 – June 6, 2022 (no class May 30) | Registration opens Feb 5, 2022
- Summer Term 2022: June 12– August 22, 2022 (no class June 19 & July 4) | Registration opens May 1, 2022
- Hagen Summer Intensive 2022: June 27 – August 8, 2022
- Hagen Core Training: September 11, 2022 – June 5, 2023 (3 Terms)
The game of make-believe is a crucial game for the artist.
About HB Studio Classes in the Dramatic Arts
For those just starting out or those seeking to reconnect with the basics, Level 1 classes are open to all without audition, placement, or prerequisite. Classes at Levels 2 and 3 build on the foundational skills addressed at Level 1. For those at an advanced level of training and for the professional actor seeking a place to work out, renew, stretch, and explore, we offer ongoing classes at the Studio Practice Level. Level 2, Level 3, and Studio Practice acting classes require audition or placement.
Actors interested in intensive, fast-track, full-time training in the dramatic arts are encouraged to apply for the Uta Hagen Institute’s one-year Core Training or 6-week Summer Intensive program. In these programs, you train as an ensemble in a rigorous, integrated sequence of daily classes.
HB Studio also offers classes in Playwriting, Directing, and acting classes for kids and teens aged 9 and up. The Studio also offers performance opportunities for playwrights, directors, and actors to collaborate on readings and work-in-progress productions.
Before You Register
We strongly encourage all students to acquaint themselves with the policies regarding refunds, credits, and transfers before registering for classes. Students may audit classes prior to enrollment. There are no refunds or credits once you register and the class is under way, except in the case of serious illness or withdrawal for military service. Requests for these exceptions must be made within three weeks of the first day the student is absent from class.
Registration with HB Studio is non-transferable.
Read more about HB Studio’s Policies at Registration & Policies.